Thursday, October 27, 2005

Weblogs: All hail Doonesbury, 35 years old

The Comics Reporter: "I also just enjoy the strip. I always have, despite a childhood so Republicanized I was 24 years old before I realized much of what Archie Bunker said was intended as satire. I've been collecting the older, white books recently, and it's a lot of fun re-reading the 1970s run. My favorite storyline, I think, is the one where Joanie Caucus -- maybe the greatest female comic strip character ever -- ran a congressional campaign and in the fallout ended up in the sack with Rick Redfern in a great silent sequence, the kind of thing no one could do today without coming across as self-congratultory and smarmy. There was something really sustained and smart and wholly character-based about that entire run that I still find endearing. I also have a soft spot for the old football huddle strips from the comic's early days."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home